Sunday, September 13, 2009

"Somewhere My Love..."


[Photo: Conservatoire National Supérieur de Musique et de Danse de Paris by Ikaros.]

Today would have been composer Maurice Jarre's 85th birthday (he passed away last March).

Though best known for his scores for films such as Lawrence of Arabia, Doctor Zhivago, Witness, and Ghost, he will always have a special place in my mind for his score for the 1977 Zeffirelli miniseries Jesus of Nazareth. My childhood and adolescence definitely wouldn't have been the same without Jarre's music. I think it helped me keep in touch with the world of the New Testament in a special way. Merci!

1 comment:

  1. I'm not afraid to say that this guy was a genius!
    Although I'm not very familiar with the pieces you are mentioning, I simply love all of the movie soundtracks he has written... Yes, MERCI!

    ReplyDelete