Sunday, December 13, 2009

Pain d'Épices


This cute little store called "Pain d'Épice" is in my favorite passage couvert in Paris, the Passage Jouffroy.

Here in the States 'tis the season for the flavors of pain d'épices. David Lebovitz posts a recipe for it here.

I haven't tried making French pain d'épices, but I do sometimes make an American gingerbread loaf using
  • Wet ingredients: 2 eggs and 1/2 c each vegetable oil and milk (or water)
  • 1 c of sweetener (I use a combination of white sugar, light brown sugar, dark brown sugar, and molasses in about equal proportions; I may try to replace some of the strong molasses with honey next time...)
  • 1 3/4 tsp spices: about 1 tsp each cinnamon and ginger, 1/2 tsp allspice, 1/8 tsp cloves, 1/8 tsp nutmeg
  • Dry ingredients: 1 1/2 c flour, 1 tsp baking powder, 1/2 tsp each salt and baking soda
baked at 375 for 40-50 min or till a knife piercing the bread comes out clean. This year I made a maple glaze for the top with some confectioners' sugar, maple flavoring, and milk. My kids enjoyed it. My husband, though, doesn't care for gingerbread and prefers my pumpkin bread. I can post that on another day.

1 comment:

  1. It was very interesting to me in yours blog. Please, look mine blog http://www.greenwriters.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete