Sunday, September 19, 2010

Sunday, September 5, 2010

St.-Joseph-des-Carmes


This church on the rue du Vaugirard, built between 1613 and 1625, was the site of a massacre of between 110 and 120 priests on September 2, 1792 (part of the September Massacres) after fifteen days of captivity. The clerics had refused to take the oath of allegiance to the republican Constitution.